Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Students

I teach beginning drawing classes to home-school students.  They are very bright children and so much fun to work with. Although most of my students are home schooled I have a few who attend school as well as adults. 

Here is work from a few students. I, regrettably, did not take photos of the variety of the work that they did. I also didn't take pictures of every student's work. I'm certainly going to do that from now on. With permission, of course.

Flowers, Pen and ink with watercolor, Sarah Turner, Age 11


Donkey, Maureen Mumford, Age 10

We work on basic elements of drawing and always work from still life to understand form, mass, light and shadow, and proportion. Besides the traditional still life materials we use Breyer Horses borrowed from my grandchildren as well as a lot of animal models collected over the years. My studio is in an old mill converted into a antique and collectibles store. It goes on forever! There are a myriad of items to borrow for drawing purposes so our still life material is unlimited. 


Breyer Horse, Nora Kelly, Age 13
Breyer Horse, Niamh McCann, Age 14

This summer one of my former students who is now in college came to my studio a couple times a week for a month to do some drawing. He is very talented and has plans to enter medical school. Our drawing sessions were great. Here is one of his in charcoal using as a model a statue of St. Ann with St. Mary.


St. Ann with St. Mary   Charcoal on Paper   Colin Goodman


1 comment:

  1. It's great to see the students' work! They do so well. And Colin's drawing is wonderful -- you must be proud of him!

    ReplyDelete