Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Flowers, Peaches, and Wine

A pastel still life painting.

Flowers, Peaches, and Wine - 11 x 14 Pastel on Board

I did this on Ampersand Pastelbord with Rembrandt Pastels. It was a different experience. The board has some tooth but the pastel builds up pretty quickly and then it is necessary to make it all smooth. I do like working this way. Very different from pastel paper or Wallis sanded paper. I've tried working on Wallis paper but don't have the knack. I'm doing a still life today on Wallis paper. Hope it works.


Picture from dickblick.com

6 comments:

  1. I love the way the reds make the white flowers pop and how the colors in the peaches are mimicked in the wall. It's really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Charlotte. I had fun doing it.

      Delete
  2. Agreed -- something about the lines of the flowers makes it seem like they're not static. They are bursting out kind of like fireworsk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jojo. I like the fireworks comparison.

      Delete
  3. I love the combinations you use.They really resonate with me. Peaches and wine, nasturtiums and fresh dates, etc.also thank you for sharing your experience with mediums- it saves me time while buying art supplies for our family. -Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel that contrived still lifes are a little lame. Thanks for that thought. I'll continue with suggestions for supplies. It is always disconcerting when students come to class with cheap art supplies that they received as a gift. Sometimes useless.

      Delete