Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Pastel Painting

I like using pastels because it is closer to drawing than using oils or water colors and I love to draw. Then I end with a painting. It is also very satisfying to sketch with good pastel pencils.  

Here is a pastel painting that I just finished. I started it last summer while on the Rail Trail in Sterling and completed it in my studio. I very often work like that. 

Lake View on the Rail Trail
Pastel on Canson Mi-Teintes Paper - 16x20 unframed


Pastels are made from powered pigment using a binder. There are soft pastels and oil pastels. I use soft pastels which are easily blended. I start out with Rembrandt pastels: they are harder than other brands and makes the initial drawing easy. After my basic composition is done I go to a softer brand. Right now I'm using Winsor & Newton but I understand that W&N has discontinued their pastel line. Disappointing. I had wanted to add some colors to my basic collection and I do like their pastels. 

Have never had a desire to use oil pastels. Always thought I'd rather just oil paint which, as a matter of fact, I've recently been teaching myself to do. 


5 comments:

  1. I like that one -- very classic E.D.E. Also, very classic New England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,

    First, thank you for creating this blog! And your work is just what I like- honest, traditional, and respectful of natural beauty. We artists tend to be isolating, but deep down we truly do appreciate sharing our joys, sorrows and sufferings with each other. I write now with a suggestion for you: if possible, when you post a piece you're working on or completed, could you let us know the dimensions and perhaps also the paper or surface you've used?

    I have a BFA in Illustration, its use put on hold to raise a family and homeschool, but pray for the day I can return in whole to that love. (All in God's time...) I try to keep a mental file of new products and techniques to try, so your sharing that info would be of interest to me.

    NY Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear NY Mom, Thanks for your lovely comments. I know what you mean about artists isolating themselves. Am trying to fight that. Your suggestion regarding size and materials.is a very good one. I will measure this piece next time I'm at my studio and post all the info together.

      Delete
  3. Of the pieces I've seen so far- this is my favorite

    ReplyDelete